Wednesday, September 04, 2013

What's on my desk: 9/4/13

Hello!

 It's time I share some of the stuff I've been working on lately!  Though I haven't had much time to do completed illustrations, a good buddy of mine, Craig Scott, has been doing this "one sketch a day" thing and well, darn if it's not an awesome idea.  So, I figure I'd do the same.

 Content after the jump!


 First up is a sketch of Deimos in the style of modern American action cartoons.  I re-used the pose from the older sketch on the left (though I didn't have it with me at the time for reference... but it's a standard enough posture for the guy that it really didn't take any real effort to re-create).  As someone who grew up with awesomely-drawn animation like Exo-Squad, Skysurfer Strike Force, and the Centurions, plus plenty of anime like Tekkaman Blade (or rather, the "Teknoman" version of it), Ronin Warriors, and the like... I tend to kind of shy away from the super-simplified look of so many modern action cartoons.  In some cases it's tolerable, but it seems everyone's just trying to be the next Samurai Jack but without developing a style of their own.
 However, I do have to recognize that, in case where it's done properly (some of the DC animation, also arguably Transformers Animated), the style can lend itself to an interesting effect.  Simplification makes the character's silhouette more unique, and the main aesthetic details of the design stand out more.  That said, I think I did a decent enough job of applying that sort of stylization to Deimos here.  What do you think?

Justin Mitchell, Deimos, DevilSaint, Unholy Paladin Studios
I guess if I could ever get DevilSaint animated, the version on the right would be the one to go for... though I'd hate myself for it lol.
 Next, we've got Illya in some sort of fighting stance.  The angle and her clothing cover up all her tattoos, but this was more for practice with a different style of clothing than I'm used to drawing; also was needing practice in drawing poses that are feminine, but not oversexualized.

Illya Tchaikovskaya-Stephens, Echo, DevilSaint, Unholy Paladin Studios
Not quite the usual Gothy flavor, but hey.

 Finally, we've got Capt. Allen, in his Army getup with a sort-of AR-looking weapon I made up as I went along.  The digicam on his pants was pretty much a halfassed effort, and it definitely shows.  But, I think the rest of the sketch came out well enough that that could be overlooked...

Jeremy Allen, Ares, DevilSaint, Unholy Paladin Studios
Deity users have no need for uniform regs!


No comments: