Saturday, February 23, 2008

Aliens in the Supermarket #1: I has a starfruits |:B

Ain't it purtiful?
I figured I'd try one of these things, since they keep staring at me every time I'm in the produce aisle of the local market.

The starfruit, from the outside, has a very sweet smell and slightly "tacky" feel to the skin, which would suggest a high sugar content. However, upon cutting the thing into slices, I found that the fruit inside doesn't really have much of a smell at all, save for perhaps the slightest tinge of... feet? I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

So then, I ate a slice and my expectations were knocked by the wayside yet again. For a fruit which seems so soft from the outside, the flesh actually has a slight "crunchiness" to it, akin to raw bell pepper. Also, the flavor was not exactly sweet; rather quite sour and "dry," almost like gooseberry.

So, the final verdict? It was nothing close to what I had expected, but not really bad either. Just different... kind of going along with how unusual it looks.


Thus concludes another odd foods journal! :D

No comments: