Monday, April 21, 2008

My goals as an artist

There are two main goals which I have been striving for; the first is to be involved in the comics industry, the second to be a concept designer for video games.

I have produced a few issues of an older comic of mine, Trooper Blaze, which were overly time-consuming, and I also was not able to afford to produce the books in sufficient numbers as to sell beyond the convention I brought them to. The lack of profit compared to the time spent on the project, my lack of knowledge of good page layout / composition, and also my inability to quickly produce art which not only looked good but was also consistent, all led me to give up on comics for a while. I need to find better ways of producing interesting scenes, and more efficient methods for getting the work done before I will be able to give it another attempt. Even a couple of years later, I'm still frustrated by how the old comics turned out, and by the negative responses they received. Now I'm too stubborn to even attempt another actual comic until I know I can do it properly and be proud of it... but I'll probably need more training first.

As for the concept design job for videogames, I feel that such a job would be perhaps the best way to get my work out to the largest audience possible. In this day and age, the more immersive the experience a certain piece of media gives, the more memorable the characters and events contained therein will be, and the large the audience which will be exposed to it... which puts comics fairly low on the modern entertainment consumer's priority, and videogames and movies at the top. Also, as many may have noticed, most of my character designs are of the type which make more sense when seen in action; what better way to portray them than the environment of a game? I've applied with, been interviewed and had my portfolio reviewed by a number of game companies here in the U.S., but the most common response I get is that my style is "too original" and that they want to see more flexibility, ie fanart and such in which I copy the style of another artist. :| Pretty much the only feasible way for a relative unknown in the industry such as myself to have a game produced with my original designs (not necessarily my own stories, but just my visual designs based off of the new concepts of a creator who actually has the balls to make an original, non-derivative game) would be to start my own company.

TL;DR: I would like to become big in the aforementioned fields, but currently lack the skill sets which the companies and possibly the consumers are looking for. :(

No comments: