Friday, March 28, 2008

Must get back to basics art-wise

I've just realized while looking through my sketchbooks that the poses in many of my recent drawings have been somewhat uninspired as compared to some of the stuff I was doing while I was doing the Trooper Blaze comic series.

Granted, the stuff that I show to everyone here may be okay in terms of the poses, proportions and such, but to be completely honest I only post on here maybe 1/3 of the finished pictures I produce, and for every picture I finish there are at least 10-20 that never get past the sketch phase.

Truth is, I'm too much of a perfectionist to really enjoy my own work that much anymore. Trooper Blaze was a comic I never really cared that much about since it was such a short story (spanning only a few weeks rather than years like DevilSaint). However, the lack of concern for how it turned out meant that I was also more willing to be "looser" with the way I drew everything in that one. The less I stressed over the end result of each drawing, the better it would turn out. I was experimenting a lot more, and this often led to unexpectedly good results.

I suppose the fact that I was allowing myself the luxury of enjoying the artistic process ultimately showed through in the finished pictures.

My current way of thinking as an illustrator is that I'm trying to create drawings which would look best as covers, profiles, or standalone images; rather than the really dynamic stuff which really pops on a comic page. If I could figure out a healthy balance of loose planning and sketching, with precise detailing and finishing, then I have the potential to consistently create truly good art.

I suspect that my current mental inflexibility may in fact be due to the nature of the jobs I've held over the past few years, and the loss of one of the most supportive artistic influences in my life... though it seems selfish of me to put such blame on events in the world around me, it is rather the impact they have had on me which I am pointing to as merely a factor, not the entire cause. I'm not quite that selfish...


I believe that I must rediscover the fun of drawing again... but this would probably benefit from being more inspired in real life as well. Working in an office for so long has really killed my creativity.

No comments: